Saturday, November 13, 2010

S T R I N G


Have you ever walked into Walmart after "regular" hours....I mean like after midnight? The aisles are so filled with huge equipment and pallets and boxes, and like a zillion people that you don't usually see in the light of day working there...and perhaps there is a reason for that. Well, 3 nights ago I did just that...I was finishing a project, wrapping 30 little boxes with brown paper and wanted something simple/organic look in nature to tie them...so I decided on string. Off to Walmart...now I personally love Walmart....I love the prices, food (except produce), sundries, clothes, etc...and I'm so sorry that I don't know all the political negatives about Walmart...their labor unions, or wages, or benefits, etc...so in my ignorance, and to make me feel better about being a devoted shopper, I ask the checker....do you enjoy working for Walmart? Do you feel they treat you fairly? Then whichever way they answer (and they are usually quite open/honest in telling me), I proceed out to my car. Ok, I digress...one of the many, many helpful faces in the early hours asked..."May I help you find something?" Now I feel I pretty much know the entire inventory/stocking process/whereabouts at Walmart, but string I had not purchased at Walmart. So I replied well sure...I'm looking for string.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This gap in the typing is me standing and the young man staring at my face as if one of my eyeballs had dropped out. I repeat..."string". "String he says, like for decorating?" Ahhhhhhh, well no, no, not for decorating. "Oh for hanging lights?" Ahhhhhh, no, no not for hanging lights. "What are you using it for?"" he asks. Well, I just wanted to tie some packages. "Oh.....oh....well I think its in fabrics, yea fabrics." Really? Fabrics I responded. Now you/I know sting is not going to be in fabrics but now it is 2:15 a.m., and I'm tired....off to fabrics. "May I help you find something she asks." Yes they sent me here for string. "String?" Yep string. "Well we don't have any." Walmart does not have string, that is funny I tell her...but off I go to forget the freaking string and check out. On my way to the front door I check out Office Supplies just in case...no string, but as I turned the next corner another helpful soul was there..."did you find everything you were looking for?" I thought, what the hell, I'm giving it another try...well actually I didn't find string, yes I'm looking for string. "String"? he says. Yep string. (Now the word sounds odd when I say it, string, string, string, so I think I need to Google it when I get home to make sure I am saying it correctly.) "You mean yarn?" he says. Nope just string. "What is it made out of" he asks. Cotton usually I say, but probably other things also. I'm looking for the cotton string. "Wow, Ive never heard of it, but good luck finding it." I rub off the rest of my mascara, pay for my new hotwater bottle and leave.

No comments: